Monday, May 18, 2026
Ann ret konekte ak Peyi w


Cuffy Square vendors’ relocation delayed after flooding concerns emerge

By jembutan , in Uncategorized , at May 14, 2026

Plans to relocate vendors from the Square of the Revolution have been delayed after recent heavy rainfall exposed drainage and flooding challenges at the proposed relocation site on Hadfield Street.

During an Extraordinary Statutory meeting of the Georgetown Mayor and City Council on Tuesday, Mayor Alfred Mentore said city officials are now reassessing the area to ensure vendors are not placed in another flood-prone environment before relocation proceeds.

“I know we’re supposed to make a decision to have those people shifted… myself and Hollingsworth had a look at the place, and he is supposed to provide a document or a design of what we will look at for the Hadfield location,” Mentore said.

Kabila Hollingsworth, Deputy City Engineer (ag) explained that the design process has been slowed due to the water from nearby drains affecting the area.

“With regards to the designs, I wish to say that the location, right now, I am looking at it with regards to a design that will function based on the water coming from the drain and so on,” Hollingsworth said.

He added that there was a pond there. It will affect the work and cause the place to be inundated if the land is not elevated.

The relocation forms part of the City Council’s broader effort to remove vendors from around the historic 1763 Monument amid concerns over congestion and preservation of the landmark. Earlier this year, the council announced plans to clear the area while promising to identify alternative spaces for affected vendors.

Due to this constraint, City Hall now has to consider additional infrastructure works, including raising sections of the land and carrying out revetment and drainage improvements, before vendors can be moved to the area.

“We are working on that. I think he suggested this challenge to me and if it will be done it has to be raised at a certain height,” Mentore said.

Mentore also said that City Hall will have to provide additional costs and the quantity for that area. Last month, City Hall unveiled its $5.697 billion budget for 2026 and part of this amount was earmarked for the project.

The post Cuffy Square vendors’ relocation delayed after flooding concerns emerge appeared first on News Room Guyana.

Comments


Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *