‘We know exactly where they are’ – search resumes for missing army helicopter, crew  

a Bell 402 Army helicopter with seven Guyana Defense Force Officers on board resumed at “first light” Thursday morning, senior officials within the GDF have confirmed.

The army helicopter reportedly lost signal 30 miles from the border with Venezuela on Wednesday but the search had to be called off for the night because of bad weather.

“Yes, an operation of this nature will commence at first light. The search continues!,” GDF’s Public Relations Representative, Heppilena Ferguson said.

Comments from National Security Advisor to the President, Capt. Gerald Gouveia, on his Facebook page Thursday morning also confirmed that the search has resumed.

“We know exactly where they are,” Gouveia, a former military officer and veteran airline transport-rated pilot noted.

“Our search and rescue efforts are supported by the best search & rescue teams in the world… equipped with the most sophisticated search helicopters on the planet.

“Today as we venture out to bring them home we expect the weather to allow us to see better today,” he wrote.

The seven GDF officers on board the Helicopter


On Thursday, Guyana Defence Force Chief of Staff, Brigadier Omar Khan said the emergency signal from the aircraft suggests a crash landing or could have been triggered by the crew on board.

He told a news conference at the GDF army base in Georgetown that there is “no information suggesting any flight by Venezuelan aircraft in that area.”

Lieutenant Colonel Michael Charles, with over 40 years of experience, was flying the aircraft over mountains and dense jungle.

He was flying a team under the command of Colonel Michael Shahoud, Commander of the 1st Infantry Battalion, on a mission to visit troops on the western border.

Also part of the mission were Retired Brigadier Gary Beaton, Lieutenant Colonel Sean Welcome, and Staff Sergeant Jason Khan.

Apart from Charles, the other crew members were Lieutenant Andio Michaeal Crawford and Corporal Dwayne Jackson. The aircraft landed at Olive Creek to refuel and contact was lost shortly after take-off.