Kagiso Rabada and Mohammed Siraj could have been wearing their Test whites. By the end of the powerplay, they had bowled three overs each, and Sunrisers Hyderabad were reduced to 34 for 4.
Somehow, they had outdone the Gujarat Titans batting line-up from the first innings – they had been reduced to 34 for 2 themselves.
Wickets in hand allowed B Sai Sudharsan (61 off 44) and Washington Sundar (50 off 33) to mount a comeback for GT. On the other hand, SRH let a tricky chase of 168 slip from their grasp, folding for 86 in 14.5 overs.
At the toss, GT captain Shubman Gill said that the pitch in Ahmedabad looked like “a better wicket than we have had in the past couple of matches.”
He was dismissed in the third over, off a rare mistimed swipe across the line. He had misjudged a pitch that turned out to be one of this IPL’s most treacherous ones: deliveries stuck in the surface, the new ball jagged both ways, and scoring options were hard to find square of the wicket.
An endless battery of tall GT fast bowlers – rounded out by Jason Holder and Impact Player Prasidh Krishna in the middle overs – kept striking in the chase.
At the end of it, GT rose to the top of the table with 16 points. (ESPNcricinfo)
The Government of Guyana on Tuesday signed a US$11.2 million contract with Boskalis for the dredging of the Demerara River channel from Houston to Golden Grove, East Bank Demerara.
The contract was signed between the Maritime Administration Department (MARAD) and Boskalis CPG Inc. during a ceremony attended by Minister of Public Utilities and Aviation Deodat Indar.
According to the ministry, the project will cover approximately 9 kilometres of the navigational channel and will involve dredging to a width of 100 metres and a depth of five metres over a two-month period.
Speaking at the signing ceremony, Minister Indar said the initiative follows consultations with stakeholders in the shipping industry, who highlighted the need for additional dredging along the Demerara River to improve maritime operations.
Once completed, the dredging works are expected to improve access for shipping vessels using the Demerara channel, enhance port efficiency, and support the smoother movement of goods and services.
Permanent Secretary Vishal Ambedkar, along with senior officials from MARAD and representatives of Boskalis CPG Inc., also witnessed the signing ceremony.
The Guyana Amateur Powerlifting Federation (GAPLF) has bolstered its administrative capacity following the donation of a laptop from the Pele FC Alumni Corp.
The equipment is designed to enhance the federation’s efficiency in coordinating and hosting national competitions.
During the presentation, Pele FC Alumni representative Adrian Murray handed over the device to GAPLF President Franklin Wilson, noting the group’s longstanding support for the sport.
Murray emphasised that administrative soundness is a vital pillar for athletic success and expressed the group’s hesitation-free commitment to assisting the federation in maintaining its high performance for the nation.
In response, Wilson expressed gratitude for the continued confidence shown in the sport. He noted that the executive team, which received a new mandate a few months ago, is focused on upscaling equipment to ensure progressive growth and operational efficiency.
The donation comes at a busy period for the GAPLF. Following a successful Novice Championship in March, the federation is currently organising the Intermediate and Masters Championships, scheduled for June 28 at a venue to be announced. A fundraising activity is also slated for that date.
Beyond local events, the federation is aligning with the International Powerlifting Federation mandates, specifically the requirement that accredited coaches accompany national teams and the requirement that trained female personnel be assigned to female athletes during international travel. Work is also underway on a robust revitalisation plan to re-engage athletes and gyms across various regions.
Looking ahead to the international calendar, the GAPLF is targeting participation in the South American Bench Press and Powerlifting Championships in Chile and the Commonwealth Championships in Canada, both scheduled for September.
General Secretary of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP), Dr Bharrat Jagdeo, on Tuesday (May 12, 2026), met with a group of former A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Members of Parliament and current Regional Councillors at their request.
Those attending the meeting included former Members of Parliament Rickly Ramsaroop, Shurwayne Holder and Dinesh Jaiprashad, along with current Regional Councillors Ravoldo Birbal, Sheik Yaseen, Prince Holder and Gangadai Lloyd.
During the meeting, the group expressed to the General Secretary a desire to be associated with the People’s Progressive Party and to contribute meaningfully to Guyana’s ongoing development, while serving the interests of the Guyanese people, as the country advances along an unprecedented path of economic growth and modernisation.
The group praised the Party’s stewardship of the economy, inclusive approach to governance, and the scale of transformation taking place across the country. They noted that the PPP has demonstrated the leadership, capacity and technical expertise required to effectively manage the country, sustain growth, and improve the welfare of every Guyanese, regardless of race, religion, or any other differentiating factor.
The group also described the Party’s openness as welcoming and contrasted the current political atmosphere with their previous experiences. They observed that the Party’s manifesto outlines plans that have been, and continue to be, vigorously pursued, resulting in tangible improvements in the lives of Guyanese and communities across the country.
The General Secretary indicated that the PPP is a Party of inclusion that works for all Guyanese, and therefore welcomed the interest expressed by the group. The PPP reaffirms that the Party’s focus remains on strengthening national cohesion, expanding opportunities for citizens, and ensuring that the benefits of development reach all Guyanese.
United States Congresswoman Maria Elvira Salazar has issued a forceful statement in support of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana, directly challenging Venezuelan Acting President Delcy Rodríguez over their continued threats to Guyana’s territorial sovereignty.
Congresswoman Salazar, who chairs the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere Affairs, delivered the rebuke via social media, warning that attempts to manipulate or deceive President Donald Trump over the border controversy would not succeed. She drew a sharp contrast between the governance records of Venezuela and Guyana, asserting that Guyana had managed its oil wealth responsibly — establishing a sovereign wealth fund and achieving remarkable economic growth, with GDP per capita reportedly quadrupling over a five-year period.
“Delcy should stop threatening Guyana and start learning from it,” Congresswoman Salazar stated, in what amounts to one of the most direct expressions of U.S. Congressional support for Georgetown in the ongoing border controversy.
The Congresswoman’s remarks come amid sustained Venezuelan pressure on Guyana’s internationally recognised borders, including Venezuela’s egregious claim over Essequibo, which comprises approximately two-thirds of Guyana’s land territory. The matter is currently the subject of proceedings before the International Court of Justice (ICJ), with Guyana asserting the full force of international law in defence of its borders.
Salazar’s intervention carries significant institutional weight. As Chair of the Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere Affairs, she holds direct oversight responsibility for U.S. foreign policy in the Caribbean and Latin America, and her public alignment with Guyana signals continued bipartisan support in Washington for the country’s territorial integrity.
Guyana has consistently maintained that the boundary between the two nations was definitively settled by the 1899 Arbitral Award, a position upheld by successive governments and supported by the international community. The country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has continued to pursue resolution through lawful multilateral channels.
Residents of Alexander Village are expected to benefit from improved drainage with the installation of a second pump in the community.
The pump was installed based on instructions from President Irfaan Ali amid ongoing flooding concerns in low-lying areas of Georgetown.
During a visit to the River View pump station on Tuesday afternoon, Minister of Agriculture, Zulfikar Mustapha said Alexander Village and Queenstown remain among the most vulnerable communities during heavy rainfall because water accumulates there “much faster” than in other parts of the city.
However, he noted that unlike Queenstown, water in Alexander Village was slow to recede on Tuesday morning when President Ali and a team toured the area.
“In Alexander Village, this morning when the President and the team visited, the water was building up.
The pump being installed (Photo: News Room/May 12, 2026)
“So the President instructed that we move another pump and bring it here and…the pump is here, it’s operable, the sluice door is open now. As soon as the sluice door close both pumps here will be operable,” Mustapha said.
According to Mustapha, the new pump will remain in the community, bringing the total number of pumps in Alexander Village to two.
“This area here is very vulnerable and is prone to flooding so we are hoping that this would ease the situation a lot,” he said.
The additional pump increases Georgetown’s total pumping capacity to 16 pumps, all of which are currently functioning.
According to Mustapha, several low-lying communities in and around Georgetown that experienced flooding earlier in the day had already seen significant improvements by Tuesday afternoon.
“Around low-lying areas in Georgetown almost all the areas now are clear. Those areas are dry and I am hoping that the pumping capacity in Georgetown will increase because we are looking now to beef up other areas,” he said.
Minister of Agriculture, Zulfikar Mustapha during the visit (P;hoto: News Room/ May 12, 2026)
The Agriculture Minister also disclosed that authorities are looking to strengthen pumping operations at Cowan Street, noting that the pump there was not activated by the Mayor and City Council despite flooding on Tuesday morning.
Meanwhile, with more rainfall expected later this week, Mustapha said the government is continuing preparedness efforts nationwide.
“When we look around the country the rain has eased off but also the Hydromet Office warned that we will have more rainfall closer to the weekend so we are continuing doing all the preparatory work,” he explained.
He added that drainage systems across Georgetown and other regions have improved significantly due to ongoing interventions.
“Because of the work done water accumulated in these areas are now for less time. We are draining the city faster and we are having better drainage system around the country,” Mustapha said.
Mustapha further revealed that Guyana now has 217 pumps across the country, with additional units recently acquired to be deployed wherever flooding challenges arise.
See below the full press statement from the People’s Progressive Party Civic (PPP/C):
General Secretary of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP), Dr Bharrat Jagdeo, on Tuesday (May 12, 2026), met with a group of former A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Members of Parliament and current Regional Councillors at their request.
Those attending the meeting included former Members of Parliament Rickly Ramsaroop, Shurwayne Holder and Dinesh Jaiprashad, along with current Regional Councillors Ravoldo Birbal, Sheik Yaseen, Prince Holder and Gangadai Lloyd.
During the meeting, the group expressed to the General Secretary a desire to be associated with the People’s Progressive Party and to contribute meaningfully to Guyana’s ongoing development, while serving the interests of the Guyanese people, as the country advances along an unprecedented path of economic growth and modernisation.
The group praised the Party’s stewardship of the economy, inclusive approach to governance, and the scale of transformation taking place across the country. They noted that the PPP has demonstrated the leadership, capacity and technical expertise required to effectively manage the country, sustain growth, and improve the welfare of every Guyanese, regardless of race, religion, or any other differentiating factor.
The group also described the Party’s openness as welcoming and contrasted the current political atmosphere with their previous experiences. They observed that the Party’s manifesto outlines plans that have been, and continue to be, vigorously pursued, resulting in tangible improvements in the lives of Guyanese and communities across the country.
The General Secretary indicated that the PPP is a Party of inclusion that works for all Guyanese, and therefore welcomed the interest expressed by the group.
The PPP reaffirms that the Party’s focus remains on strengthening national cohesion, expanding opportunities for citizens, and ensuring that the benefits of development reach all Guyanese.
A taxi driver passed away early Tuesday morning after being stabbed multiple times and then crashing.
The deceased has been identified as Oswain Lawson, a 42-year-old resident of Stanleytown, New Amsterdam, Berbice.
The News Room understands that Lawson had an argument with a 21-year-old man at a shop located on the Edinburgh Public Road, Berbice. Lawson was reportedly stabbed several times in the right side of his chest during the argument.
It is reported that around 01:30 hours Tuesday, after being attacked and while driving car HD 8644 along the Edinburgh road, Lawson then lost control of the vehicle while driving at a fast rate. He collided with a structure in the eastern grass area before ending up in a nearby canal, where the car sank.
Public-spirited citizens pulled Lawson from the car while he was unconscious and took him to the New Amsterdam Public Hospital, where a doctor pronounced him dead. Police confirmed that there were multiple wounds found on Lawson’s body.
Reports indicate that a 21-year-old male contractor has been taken into custody for questioning regarding Lawson’s stabbing.
Police are continuing their investigations to determine the circumstances surrounding the stabbing of Lawson.
Foreign cannabis, worth about $7.5 million, was seized during a Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) operation at Backstreet Grove, East Bank Demerara.
Acting on intelligence received, officers intercepted a male suspect carrying a container, in which fifteen brick-like parcels of foreign cannabis, commonly known as “poppy” or “creepy,” were discovered.
Denzel Crawford, 27, of Grove Housing Scheme, was arrested on Monday and escorted to CANU Headquarters along with the narcotics, which weighed 10.760 kilogrammes.
Authorities say this type of cannabis being imported into Guyana carries a significantly high THC content and fetches a premium price in the local market.
Following its massive mortgage announcement in February 2026 of 5% for loans up to 60 million in February 2026 Republic Bank (Guyana) Limited is again proud to announce the Republic Mortgage Move. This is another strategic update to its residential mortgage offerings to ensure access to finance and affordable low and middle income housing for all Guyanese.
The new Republic Mortgage Move enables customers at other banks who have existing residential mortgages between GYD$20 million to GYD$40 million to move their mortgages to Republic Bank to benefit from better rate of 4.70% and access additional financing for home improvements, expansion or other needs.
In addition, Republic Bank has no lending ceiling for residential mortgages which means that there is no limit to the amount Guyanese can borrow, giving them greater flexibility to borrow on their individual needs and qualifications.
Republic’s highly competitive offerings for Republic Mortgage Move seek to meet the evolving needs of Guyanese across all segments at the low, middle and high income segments:
3.50% for amounts up to GYD$9 million
4.25% for amounts over GYD$9 million and up to GYD$20 million
4.70% for amounts over GYD$20 million and up to GYD$40 million
5% for amounts over GYD$40 million and up to GYD$60 million
Additional benefits include:
Up to 100% financing
Zero negotiation and attorney fees.
Extended repayment terms tailored to your needs
Monthly amortized payments
Online application and document submission.
Republic Bank remains committed to providing strategic, affordable and customer-focused solutions that help more Guyanese invest in their homes with greater ease and flexibility.