The Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) applauds the Government of Guyana for its interventions to support rice farmers across the country. With more than $3 billion in financial support towards rice farmers, this initiative represents an impactful decision that will further support the bolstering of Guyana’s agriculture sector.
Over the years, the Chamber has noted the government’s continuous substantial injections into the rice industry, with frequent efforts to support stakeholders. The GCCI encourages farmers to utilise this support to advance their productivity. With Guyana’s agriculture sector playing a key role in food security, the Chamber lauds the government’s commitment to developing and diversifying all facets of the economy.
Major projects are taking shape across Guyana, and President Dr. Irfaan Ali said his government will create special mechanisms to allow workers to invest in national assets and earn more.
The President shared this vision on Friday at a Labour Day brunch held at State House, his official residence in Georgetown.
At that event, the Guyanese Head of State said his administration is focused on improving workers’ livelihoods and enhancing their quality of life even when they retire. Part of the plan to further support workers, he explained, is to allow them to invest in national projects like the forthcoming natural gas plants or a fertiliser manufacturing venture.
“We are going to develop special mechanisms and incentives so our workers can invest and our workers own a piece of the assets for the future.
“… we have to develop opportunities and carve out a specific modus, a specific programme, through which our workers can own things. You have to own things, we want the workers to own things,” President Ali told scores of workers clad in their customary red attire.
The President also assured workers that his government will continue to roll out programmes that benefit workers and all Guyanese. He said the Old Age Pension, ‘Because We Care’ schoolchildren cash grants, and the forthcoming Guyana Development Bank are among the programmes meant to support various sections of the population.
As he forges ahead with these plans, the President called for workers and workers’ unions to collaborate more with the government. Together, he said, there can be meaningful developments for workers.
Mitchell Starc and KL Rahul kept alive Delhi Capitals’ slim hopes of a top-four finish in the Indian Premier League with victory over in-form Rajasthan Royals.
Starc, playing in his first IPL game of the season, took the key wickets of Yashasvi Jaiswal (6), Ravindra Jadeja (20) and Royals captain Riyan Parag (90) as the hosts batted first.
There was also a rare failure for 15-year-old Vaibhav Sooryavanshi, who was bowled by New Zealand’s Kyle Jamieson off just the second ball he faced.
However, more powerful hitting from South Africa’s Donovan Ferreira, who hit six sixes in his 14-ball 47*, gave the Royals late impetus and led them to 225-6.
The Capitals were given the perfect platform with a century stand by openers Pathum Nissanka (62) and Rahul (75), who was eventually dismissed by England’s Jofra Archer (1-46 off four overs).
Nitish Rana clubbed 33 off 17 before Tristan Stubbs and Ashutosh Sharma saw the Capitals home by seven wickets and with five balls to spare. (BBC)
Led by a destructive innings from West Indies Under-19 player Jonathan Van Lange, Annandale emerged champions of the ninth edition of the Ram Slam tournament, staged by the Lusignan Sports Club.
Annandale, first-time winners of the tournament in 2019, added their second title by defeating Mon Repos in a one-sided final at the Lusignan Community Centre Ground, East Coast Demerara.
Earlier in the day, Annandale defeated Lusignan Sports Club, while Mon Repos toppled 2025 champions Good Hope.
Jonathan Van Lange (right) was named MVP of the tournament for his 71 runs and two wickets (Photo: News Room/Avenash Ramzan/April 26, 2026)
Van Lange goes big in final
Annandale’s massive 63-run win in the final was engineered by a swashbuckling innings from Van Lange, who slammed five sixes and two fours in 51 off 20 balls.
The lone half-century of the day powered Annandale to 131-7 from the allotted 15 overs, with opener Brandon Jaikaran offering support with 33 off 27 (1×4, 3x6s).
Bowling for Mon Repos, Chaitram Balgobin picked up 3-21 from two overs and Tyrell Peters 2-26 off three.
Jonathan Van Lange on the charge in the final (Photo: News Room/Avenash Ramzan/April 26, 2026)
In reply, Mon Repos had a batting meltdown, with Mahindra Jeonarine removing the top four batters with just seven runs on the board to effectively ‘kill’ the chase.
Despite 29 off 16 (2x4s, 2x6s) from national youth player Vickash Wilkinson and 22 off nine (3x6s) from veteran Somnauth Bharrat, Mon Repos could only manage 68 all out from 8.3 overs.
Jeonarine picked up 4-22 off three overs, Travis Persaud had 2-9 off one and Asif Singh picked up 2-14 off 1.3 overs.
Below is a summary of the first two games:
SEMI-FINAL ONE: Good Hope 70-9 from 10 overs (Nigel Deodat 26, Ramnarine Chatura 12; Somnauth Bharrat 2-4, Tyrell Peters 2-10, Chaitram Balgobin 2-10, Jaheine Beckles 2-14) lost to Mon Repos 72-3 from 8.5 overs (Robin Williams 20, Vishwanauth Ramlakhan 16*, Tyrell Peters 16, Myheim Khan 12*; Nigel Deodat 2-11, Neeran Bani 1-9) by seven wickets
SEMI-FINAL TWO: Annandale 92-5 from 10 overs (Brandon Jaikaran 34, Jonathan Van Lange 20, Shazam Ali 16, Adrian Hetmyer 15; Dilon Heyliger 1-7, Yeudistir Persaud 1-20, Nizam Khan 1-28) defeated Lusignan Sports Club 88-7 from 10 overs (Yeudistir Persaud 30, Anil Singh; Travis Persaud 4-11, Jonathan Van Lange 2-11) by four runs
President of the Lusignan Sports Club Sydartha Anandjit said the tournament is important to the club’s cricket development aspirations.
He noted that the aim is to make Lusignan a Cricket West Indies practice and First-Class venue, and the support of fans and sponsors in a vital part of achieving that mission.
President of the Lusignan Sports Club Sydartha Anandjit (Photo: News Room/Avenash Ramzan/April 26, 2026)
Ram Slam 2026 was made possible with support from: Naven’s Construction, Triple G Construction, Hanso Fishing Establishment and Trucking Service, Two Sister’s Car Rental, Shamir’s Imports and Exports, Double V Auto Sales, Javid Electronics and Logistics Beverage Country, SR 14 Imports, Chung’s Auto Mechanic Shop, Revision Optical, Crown Mining, Aiden’s Inc., Prem Superbet, Uncle Baba Grocery Shop, Caricom Auto Sales, Appa Furniture Shop, BM Soat Auto Sales, El Comandante Auto Sales, Sanchara’s Electrical, Service, S. Prasad Trading and Distribution, Mitra Sports Bar (Khan), Busy Bayo Panel Doors, Knight Rider Trucking Service, Ram’s Auto Body Work Shop, Global Auto Spares and Trucking Service, Antonio SB Auto Mechanic, RUDISA Motor company, Guyana Breweries and Imperial Radiator Service Ltd.
(Reuters) – Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne won a landslide election victory late on Thursday, securing a fourth term after a campaign dominated by the economy and concerns over U.S. visa restrictions.
Browne’s Labour Party increased its majority by winning 15 seats in the 17-seat parliament, according to preliminary official data. The opposition United Progressive Party, seen as its main challenger, won only one seat.
“We are humbled and honored by your support and confidence,” the Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party said on social media.
Browne, a 59-year-old former banker and businessman who has led the Labour Party since 2014, campaigned on economic stability and investment-led growth, pointing to a post-pandemic recovery in tourism and to infrastructure expansion.
The political debate was mostly dominated by Washington’s decision in January to suspend visa processing for Antigua and Barbuda nationals – a major blow for locals who regularly travel to the United States for work.
Washington raised concerns over a program where foreigners can secure citizenship in the Eastern Caribbean twin-island state through investment. It argued that criminals could exploit the scheme to get into the United States.
Browne’s administration said it was working with the U.S. and that it has already brought in reforms to make the Citizenship by Investment Program more robust and transparent.
The Labour Party called the general election last month, two years ahead of schedule, saying it needed a new mandate at a time of international crisis. It had a nine-seat majority in the last parliament.
There will be a second vote count on Friday to confirm the results of the general election that has been monitored by international observers.
See below the full release from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation:
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) will hold public hearings in the case concerning the Arbitral Award of 3 October 1899 (Guyana v. Venezuela), from Monday 4 May to Monday 11 May 2026, at the Peace Palace, in The Hague, the seat of the Court . These hearings are devoted to the merits of the case.
It will be recalled that on 29 March 2018, Guyana filed an Application instituting proceedings against Venezuela concerning the legal validity and binding effect of the Award regarding the Boundary between the Colony of British Guiana and the United States of Venezuela, of 3 October 1899. Guyana brought the case to the ICJ to confirm the validity of the internationally recognized boundary, which was determined by the Award and by a 1905 boundary agreement with Venezuela that adhered strictly to the unanimous decision rendered by the Arbitral Tribunal.
The ICJ has twice affirmed its jurisdiction in this matter, in Judgements issued on 18 December 2020 and 6 April 2023. The Court has issued two Orders, both indicating provisional measures, which Guyana had requested, to prevent Venezuela from interfering with Guyana’s lawful control and administration of the territory that is the subject of the controversy while the judicial proceedings are still pending.
Guyana approaches these Hearings with full confidence in the strength of its case, which is supported by the historical record and the applicable legal principles relating to the binding nature of arbitral awards, the sanctity of treaties, the respect for the rule of law and the stability of boundaries.
The schedule for the hearings is as follows:
Monday 4 May 2026 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.: First round of oral argument (Guyana)
3 p.m. – 6 p.m.: First round of oral argument (Guyana)
Wednesday 6 May 2026 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.: First round of oral argument (Venezuela)
3 p.m. – 6 p.m.: First round of oral argument (Venezuela)
Friday 8 May 2026 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.: Second round of oral argument (Guyana)
Monday 11 May 2026 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.: Second round of oral argument (Venezuela)
The hearings will be streamed live and on demand (VOD), in English and French, on the Court’s website, on the section of the Journal of the United Nations dedicated to the ICJ and on UN Web TV.
Local artistes and the rich traditions of Guyana’s six peoples will take centre stage at the Guyana Festival 2026, slated for May 15–17, 2026, at the Guyana National Stadium.
This event, hosted by the Ministry of Tourism, Industry and Commerce, is part of the country’s 60th Independence Anniversary celebrations. Subject Minister, Susan Rodrigues, said this festival is a national celebration of culture, identity, and ambition. It focuses on the sound, soul, and taste of Guyana.
The festival opens on Thursday, May 15, at 17:00 hours with a ceremony at the Providence, East Bank Demerara Stadium. The event will include cultural performances, participation from the Guyana Police Force and the Guyana Defence Force, and an address by President Dr. Irfaan Ali. This night will be free to the public.
On Saturday, May 16, local music icons will headline a “Night of Legends” concert, celebrating Guyanese contributions to the arts. And, the final night, Sunday, May 17, will feature a national cook-off competition, followed by a concert showcasing contemporary local artistes and modern Guyanese music.
“We know these icons, we enjoy their music very much…we want to take the opportunity to honour them during the Guyana Festival,” she said.
At the heart of the festival will be cultural villages and a culinary hub, where patrons can experience traditions from all six ethnic groups through food, music, craft, and live demonstrations.
Craft will also be highlighted at the event.
“We have the arts and craft, we are reflecting Guyanese artistry, we have pottery making and interactive sessions for traditional crafters,” she said.
Additionally, there will be drama performances bringing comedy and entertainment, rooted in Guyanese creativity.
Tickets are priced at $1,000 for adults, while children under 12 will be admitted free. A $5,000 festival passport will provide access to all events over the three days, along with discounts at participating businesses and eligibility for prize draws, including travel packages, hotel stays, and other incentives.
“Our intention was to make this festival inclusive and truly representative of our country’s diverse culture,” the minister said.
The event is expected to attract visitors from across Guyana, the diaspora, and international markets, further boosting the country’s tourism sector.
Georgetown, Guyana – The Guyana Bank for Trade and Industry Limited (GBTI) convened its 39th Annual General Meeting (AGM), where shareholders reviewed a year of solid financial performance, recognised key strategic advancements, and marked a significant leadership transition with the appointment of a new Chairman.
In delivering his first Chairman’s Address, Mr. Suresh Beharry reported that GBTI recorded a Profit After Tax of G$4.5 billion, representing an 8.2% increase over 2024, driven by disciplined expansion of the loan portfolio, strong deposit growth, and continued operational efficiency.
The Bank’s total assets grew to G$313 billion, while customer deposits increased to G$268.6 billion, representing a 28.5% increase. The loan portfolio expanded by 17.9%, and asset quality remained stable with a non-performing loan ratio of 4.12%.
GBTI Chairman, Suresh Beharry
The Bank also declared a total dividend of G$41 per share, up from G$32 per share in the previous year, reinforcing its commitment to delivering value to shareholders. GBTI maintained a strong Capital Adequacy Ratio of 16.42%, well above regulatory requirements.
A key highlight of the year was the continued impact of GBTI GROW, the Bank’s SME-focused lending platform, which disbursed G$394 million in loans to small and medium-sized enterprises, contributing to job creation and economic diversification across Guyana.
The Bank’s performance was underpinned by several strategic developments, including the expansion of GO Banking digital services and the rollout of real-time card payment capabilities; the implementation of Digital Account Opening and Retail Loan Onboarding, enabling customers to apply for accounts and loans online; the expansion of the credit card portfolio and the launch of the Mastercard Debit Card; and the expansion of the Mon Repos Branch to deliver a full suite of banking products and services.
The AGM also reflected on the leadership transition following the tenure of former Chairman Mr. Robin Stoby, S.C., who stepped down after two decades of distinguished service. His contribution to the Bank’s growth and transformation was acknowledged, and his continued presence on the Board ensures ongoing strategic guidance.
During the meeting, shareholders voted to re-elect Directors Mr. Suresh Beharry, Ms. Kathryn Eytle-McLean, and Mr. Richard Issava, demonstrating continued confidence in the Bank’s leadership and governance.
Looking ahead, GBTI will continue to deepen its focus on digital innovation, customer-centric growth, and data-driven decision-making as it supports Guyana’s rapidly expanding economy and evolving financial landscape (GBTI press release)
The Guyana Police Force has said that ranks in Region Six (East Berbice- Corentyne) are investigating the report of an assault on an 11-year-old pupil of an East Bank Berbice primary school.
According to a release from Police Headquarters, the pupil’s parent alleged that the child was assaulted by two other pupils in the school compound on Wednesday.
Following the report, the parents and children involved were contacted at a Police Station, where a welfare official from the Juvenile Justice Department/Child Care was also engaged and spoke with the parties.
It was agreed that a meeting involving the parents, the child’s mother, and the welfare officer will be held at the school on Monday, May 4, 2026, at 09:00 hrs.
Eulex Andre Jeffery, called “Ratty,” a 45-year-old gold miner of Company Road, Buxton, East Coast Demerara, has been charged in connection with the death of Moses Chappelle, called “Bizo.”
He also faces charges for firearm and ammunition offences.
In a release, Police Headquarters said the first charge, manslaughter, was laid contrary to Section 94 of the Criminal Law (Offences) Act, Chapter 08:01. He was also charged with having firearms and ammunition without licenses.
On Thursday, Jeffery appeared before Magistrate Teriq Mohamed at the Bartica Magistrate’s Court, where the charges were read to him.
In relation to the manslaughter charge, he was not required to plead, and was granted $600,000 bail. In relation to the firearm and ammunition charges, he pleaded not guilty. Bail was granted in the sum of $200,000 for the firearm charge and $100,000 for the ammunition charge.
The matters were adjourned to June 8, 2026, for continuation.
In a previous release, Police Headquarters said Chapelle was reportedly killed on Thursday, April 23, 2026, at about 21:30hrs at Blackwater Backdam, Cuyuni River.
As the probe into the man’s death continued, ranks found an AM-15 rifle and a .32 pistol, along with multiple magazines and rounds of ammunition in the Cuyuni River area. These included two magazines containing 42 live .223 rounds, one magazine with four live .32 rounds, a 9mm magazine, as well as 70 additional .223 rounds and 48 live 9mm rounds.