Fire Chief Gregory Wickham on Wednesday confirmed that two fire officers are being investigated after a laptop was allegedly stolen from a house near the Quamina Guest House, which was destroyed by fire last week.
“Yes, we have had issue of that, or matter of fact, we had reports of that, and so the police are dealing with all of those issues,” Wickham told reporters at the sidelines of an event.
When asked specifically about the firemen, he said, “The police are dealing with all of that. They are not still detained. The police can access that at any time. The procedure is working.”
Wickham added that the Guyana Fire Service is conducting its own internal review.
“We are doing the investigation and upon conclusion of that, the procedure will work to ensure that we rid ourselves of any such persons,” he said.
The stolen laptop has since been returned to its owner, he confirmed.
A massive Tuesday night blaze destroyed a Fifth Street, Alberttown building that housed dozens of residents, including Guyanese, Cubans, Trinidadians, and Venezuelans.
Fire Chief (ag.) Gregory Wickham told reporters on Wednesday morning that the building was destroyed, but firefighters were able to stop the blaze from spreading to other buildings in close proximity.
The Fire Chief said firefighters and five water tenders responded to the incident. The team, he said, managed to bring the fire “down to a controllable position” and hence, prevented the spread.
The fire reportedly started around 18:30 hrs. By 19:00 hrs, the wooden and concrete building was entirely engulfed in flames, with residents safely evacuated.
Shaquana Jones, a mother of two who lived in the building, said she was unable to secure any of her valuables. She was only able to evacuate with her children and other residents.
Another resident, a Trinidadian national, said he was fast asleep when the fire started, but several other residents came to get him out of the building. By the time he was alerted, the man recalled, the building was engulfed in thick smoke and flames, but he scrambled downstairs and escaped.
The cause of the fire is not yet known. The Fire Chief said investigators are examining several theories.
A new heritage initiative, the Berbice Hall of Legends (BHL), has launched a region-wide search to identify and document the stories of individuals who have shaped the history and future of Regions Five and Six.
The project, which held its first large-scale physical outreach at the New Amsterdam Multilateral Secondary School on Monday, aims to bridge the gap between local memory and formal historical preservation.
The idea for the Hall of Legends was born from the realisation that while Berbice is a prolific “cradle of talent,” many of its most inspiring narratives remain undocumented.
Project Lead Daniel Cameron noted that the initiative seeks to honour those born or raised in the region, as well as those who dedicated their careers to its development.
“We created this platform to ensure these legacies are formally preserved and celebrated as part of our collective history,” Cameron said during the outreach.
The selection criteria extend beyond traditional fame.
The project highlights three distinct groups:
• Regional Icons: Global achievers in various professional fields.
• The “Silent Pillars”: Educators, mentors, and religious leaders who have worked behind the scenes.
• Emerging Leaders: Youth making an impact today through the “Future of Berbice” category.
Organisers confirmed that the Berbice Hall of Legends is intended to be an annual, continuous ceremony.
While 2026 is the first cycle, the framework is designed to grow as more stories come from the community.
For the current cycle, seven honorees will be selected across seven diverse categories, including Education and Intellectual Impact, Innovation and Business, and the “You’re My Hero” award, which focuses on everyday figures like parents and guardians.
Public feedback has been “very encouraging” since the nomination portal opened. By allowing the public to drive the process, the BHL ensures that communities—rather than a closed committee—determine which stories deserve the spotlight.
The outreach at New Amsterdam Multilateral was specifically designed to engage the youth in the nomination process, particularly for the Future of Berbice (ages 7–21) category.
The project is currently in phase one, focusing on public engagement and data gathering.
Following the close of nominations, selected individuals will be documented and officially inducted during a formal recognition ceremony later this year.
Minister of Local Government and Regional Development, Priya Manickchand, has dismissed claims that vendors at Stabroek Market will be relocated within the next three months, describing the reports as “misinformation.”
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the minister said it had come to her attention that members of the City Constabulary were allegedly informing vendors that they would soon be removed from the market.
She denied these claims, emphasizing that no such directive had been given.
“I have not asked the City Constabulary or anyone to spread any such information because that is simply not true,” the minister said. “There is no plan to move any vendors at this point, in three months or at all.”
The clarification comes amid growing concern among vendors operating at the historic market, many of whom rely on daily sales for their livelihoods.
Minister Manickchand acknowledged that while the market will eventually require major rehabilitation, including a full redesign, no decisions have been made regarding relocation.
She assured that when the time comes, all vendors will be fully consulted and included in the decision-making process.
“At some point the market will have to be redone. Before that happens, all vendors will be consulted and we will make those decisions together,” she stated.
In the meantime, the minister noted that ongoing works are limited to repairs of the market’s roof. She pointed out that vendors had already been informed and consulted prior to the commencement of these repairs.
Calling on vendors to remain calm, the minister urged them not to be misled by what she described as “mischief makers.”
“I ask that vendors reject mischief makers and don’t allow themselves to be used as tools in any narrow-minded, vendetta-driven campaign,” she said.
Candidate Master Sachin Pitamber and Italy Ton-Chung will represent Guyana in Chess at the IV South American Youth Games in Panama as part of the country’s delegation, courtesy of the Guyana Olympic Association.
The 2026 games will be held from April 12-25 with rapid and blitz chess competitions being played from April 23-25 at the Metropolis Hall in the Decapolis Hotel, Panama City.
The two players will be accompanied by Coach Anthony Drayton. Fresh off his victory at the 2026 National Open Chess Championship, 15-year-old Pitamber is preparing to represent Guyana on the international stage in Panama.
The Queen’s College student, who also holds the National Under-16 title, is no stranger to high-stakes play, having represented Guyana in numerous international tournaments, notably the 45th Chess Olympiad in Budapest, Hungary, in 2024 where he gained his Candidate Master title.
As the youngest Candidate Master in Guyana’s history, Pitamber’s resume is formidable. He was a driving force behind Guyana’s gold medal victory at the Inter-Guiana Games last December and remains a dominant fixture on the top boards of local competition.
Pitamber enters the South American Youth Games well-equipped to face the region’s elite talent.
A seasoned competitor on both the local and international stages, Ton-Chung is set to represent Guyana with distinction at the upcoming tournament in Panama.
Known for her resilience in standard time controls, the 18-year-old University of Guyana student will look to leverage her extensive over the-board experience against her opponents.
A key member of the female team of the Inter-Guiana Games last December, Italy remains one of the top-ranking junior female players in the local chess community.
FM Drayton, one of Guyana’s most seasoned players and respected coaches, will serve as the national coach for this tournament.
No stranger to the role, having travelled with the junior team as their mentor on numerous occasions, Drayton will aim to provide training and guidance to the two young athletes as they represent Guyana in Panama.
The Guyana Chess Federation (GCF) extends its sincere gratitude to the Guyana Olympic Association (GOA) for its vital support in including chess within the national delegation.
The GCF looks forward to a successful campaign in Panama and wishes the entire Guyanese contingent the very best of luck across all sporting disciplines.
“We are proud to see our players compete alongside Guyana’s finest athletes,” the GCF said.
The Digital Identity Card Act of 2023 is now fully in force, with Prime Minister Brigadier (Ret’d) Mark Phillips announcing that a Commencement Order has been issued bringing the legislation into operation as of March 31, 2026.
The Prime Minister said the move marks “a major step forward” in modernising government services and improving how citizens access state systems.
According to Phillips, the government has already met the key requirements outlined in the Act, paving the way for the rollout of the digital ID system.
These include the appointment of a Data Protection Commissioner, the establishment of a secure database for the capture and storage of citizens’ information, and the implementation of systems to produce and issue digital identification cards.
He explained that the initial enrolment process will rely on information already provided by citizens to state agencies, minimising the need for new data submissions.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the information you’re required to provide… is data you have already provided to other state authorities,” he said, noting that the process is designed to be familiar and seamless.
Phillips also assured that privacy remains a top priority, with additional safeguards expected to come into effect when the Data Protection Act is fully operational.
At that stage, the government may request more sensitive personal information under strengthened legal protections.
The Prime Minister further announced that registry offices have already been established, including in Region Two, where citizens can begin applying for their digital ID cards.
The rollout of the digital identification system is expected to play a key role in improving public service delivery and streamlining access to government services across Guyana.
As part of its ongoing crackdown on illegal mining, the Ministry of Natural Resources
brought 16 gold miners before the courts in March on various charges under the Mining
Act.
Nine of the miners were charged with the offence of operating without a permit or
licence; two were charged with operating an unregistered dredge; five were charged with
having a licensed dredge on a property without permission. They all pleaded guilty and
were ordered to pay various fines.
The gold miners were brought before the Bartica and Mahdia Magistrate’s Courts,
corresponding to the locations where the ministry’s Corps of Wardens uncovered their
operations.
As robust surveillance continues across all mining districts, the ministry wishes to
remind stakeholders that those found in breach of Guyana’s mining laws and
regulations will be dealt with without fear or favour.
Illegal mining not only drives environmental degradation while threatening public
health and safety, but also undermines sustainable mining practices. The Ministry of
Natural Resources is appealing to all operators to work with the relevant regulatory
agencies by ensuring full compliance with the rule of law.
The government is advancing plans to introduce an automated passenger identification system at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport (CJIA) to reduce processing times for Guyanese travellers.
Passengers arriving at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport (CJIA)
Minister of Public Utilities and Aviation, Deodat Indar, on Monday, said that the initiative forms part of a broader strategy to position Guyana as a regional aviation hub.
The national e-ID card infrastructure will support the new system and will use biometric technology to identify Guyanese upon arrival.
Guyanese travellers will be able to move seamlessly through the airport, with facial recognition triggering automated gates.
Minister of Public Utilities and Aviation, Deodat Indar, speaking at the opening of the Women in Aviation Conference 2026
“We want when you come off the plane, you walk straight through. The system must recognise that you are a citizen. Your face will appear on a screen, the system will signal the gate to open, and you will walk through. You don’t have to see anybody as a Guyanese,” Minister Indar explained.
Along with the digital upgrade, the CJIA’s physical infrastructure is also being expanded and modernised to meet international standards, in keeping with the government’s aviation ambitions.
“Making Guyana a regional hub, you have to have the infrastructure. That is why you will see we [government] are investing heavily in the Cheddi Jagan International Airport to ensure it is modern-looking and the people of Guyana can boast that we have an airport that is truly international in shape and form.”
The minister added that plans are in place to construct a second terminal. The designs have been completed, and contractors are mobilised.
He noted that interest from international carriers continues to grow, following a recent engagement in Brazil.
Avianca Airline
Guyana currently hosts approximately 16 airlines, a sharp increase from just four in 2020. They include Copa Airlines, American Airlines, Surinam Airways and Caribbean Airlines.
“In 2020, we had four airlines. Now we have 16. That means we added 12 new airlines, which is no easy feat, and more are coming,” he said.
Efforts are also underway to re-establish regional routes, particularly those affected by the collapse of LIAT.
Beyond the development of the CJIA, the government is constructing two municipal airports in Berbice and Lethem to support regional development.
The Berbice facility is expected to serve major projects in the region, including oil and gas operations, new pipelines, a power plant, and infrastructure developments such as the stadium at Palmyra.
“We need an airport that can accommodate jets for now so that they can land on a 6,500-foot runway and they can leave directly from there so you don’t have to come and then drive,” the minister said.
Meanwhile, the Lethem airport is being developed with a strategic focus on handling passenger and cargo traffic from northern Brazil.
The Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL) is proud to officially confirm that the newest franchise will be known as the Jamaica Kingsmen, marking an exciting new chapter for cricket in the region.
The Jamaica Kingsmen will represent Jamaica in the CPL, bringing a fresh identity, renewed energy, and a strong commitment to excellence both on and off the field.
The addition of the Kingsmen reinforces the CPL’s ongoing mission to grow the game across the Caribbean while celebrating the unique culture and passion of each territory.
The franchise is owned by a USA-based ownership group led by Fawad Sarwar, which also owns the Pakistan Super League (PSL) team of the same name. This cross-league ownership marks a significant step in strengthening global cricket connections and expanding the Kingsmen brand across major T20 competitions.
Pete Russell, CEO of the Republic Bank CPL, welcomed the new franchise: “We are thrilled to introduce the Jamaica Kingsmen to the CPL family. Jamaica has always been a powerhouse in Caribbean cricket, and this new team represents a bold step forward in building on that legacy. The involvement of an experienced international ownership group further highlights the growing global appeal of the CPL.”
Fawad Sarwar, owner of the Jamaica Kingsmen, added: “It is an honour to bring the Kingsmen brand to the Caribbean. Jamaica has a rich cricketing heritage and passionate fans, and we are committed to building a team that reflects that pride and competes at the highest level. We look forward to contributing to the continued growth of the CPL and to creating something truly special for the people of Jamaica in true Tallawah spirit.”
The name ‘Kingsmen’ reflects strength, pride, and leadership- qualities synonymous with Jamaica’s rich cricketing history and its influence on the regional and international game.
The franchise will be based in Kingston and will call Sabina Park its home ground, offering fans an electrifying match-day experience in one of the Caribbean’s most iconic cricket venues.
The Republic Bank CPL continues to expand its footprint as one of the world’s premier T20 leagues, and the addition of the Jamaica Kingsmen signals an exciting future for cricket in Jamaica and across the Caribbean. (CPL)
A woman and two men who were previously remanded for armed robbery were each granted $300,000 bail during their second court appearance on Tuesday.
On March 9, 21-year-old Steve Tsoi, known as “Timmy,” of Lot 19 Alness Village; 20-year-old construction worker Sherlon McLean of Nursery Village; and 34-year-old Samantha Thomas, an unemployed resident of Bangladesh, Port Mourant, Corentyne, Berbice, were remanded to prison after the prosecution objected to bail. Bail was denied by the Magistrate at that time.
The trio is accused of committing a robbery on February 28 in Rose Hall Town, during which they allegedly, while armed and in the company of others, stole $1.5 million in cash from Gurudat Sudhai at his supermarket. All three defendants pleaded not guilty to the charge.
On Tuesday, March 31, they appeared for the second time before Magistrate Michelle Matthias at the Albion Magistrate’s Court.
During the hearing, the prosecution did not object to bail. Magistrate Matthias subsequently granted each defendant $300,000 bail with no conditions attached.
As a result, McLean and Thomas were released from custody. The matter was adjourned to April 14 for further proceedings.
Tsoi, however, remains in custody in connection with separate charges. He is accused of possessing a 9mm pistol with four matching rounds, an AK-47 rifle with seventeen rounds, and a pair of gloves allegedly discovered in Ulverston Village, Corentyne, Berbice. He has pleaded not guilty to those charges.